Monday, June 22, 2009

Today's business

Today I have been busy getting everything ready for when my Mom comes home from the hospital. She had a preventative cancer mastectomy today. She has the BRCA2 breast cancer jean and so she is taking preventative measures so hopefully she won't get it. We have a long history of cancer on her side of the family. It was about a 6-7 hour surgery, because she also was prepped to receive implants. As Pat's brother Steve said, she is getting the new 09's. I thought that was funny. Anyways, last night we wrote out a list of everything she would need when she came home tomorrow or Wed, and today I have been running around getting it all. This is the main reason I came to Cali, was to take care of my Mom while she recovered (and Danny's graduation from CSUSB). My Dad is here too, but women are more sensitive to other womens needs, so she asked me to come.

The weather has been really nice here compared to the storms we left in Utah. It is 87 degrees today. My kids are going to have a movie night at my brother Dan's house with his kids.

So far it has been a good trip and hopefully my Mom will recover quickly without any complications.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

What a brave decision to get that procedure done, I'm sure it will bring much relief from wondering all the "what if's?" It's great of you to be there to take are of her too, what a blessing to be able to pick up and go and be there for her. You're right, women understand other women's needs much better for sure!

I hope all goes well with the recovery! Oh, I was also laughing at the "New O9's" line!! :)

ftmomma said...

Mary I just read through your last several posts - please tell your mom I am saying a prayer for her as she continues to recover. I am sure she is so thankful to have you there with her. You have always been such a caregiver to those around you! Make sure you get some peanut m&ms to keep your own strength up! :-)

Also - it is neat to see the pics of your family. Most of my memories of Melody center around her being 4 years old. I have some funny memories I will not go into too much detail! Congrats to Danny on his graduation! Take care,
Beth