Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Long Way Home

Well, I decided to head home from my Mom's Friday, so that morning I loaded the car and the kids and headed out. Before I left I asked my Dad if he had an ice cream bucket that was washed out that I could take just in case anyone threw up. He did, and I lined it with a grocery bag and put the lid on (which my Dad insisted I take even though I said I didn't need a lid). I also took about 10 extra grocery bags, just in case. Well 2 hours into the trip, Paige says "Mom, my stomach hurts and I think I am going to throw up." I instructed her to hold the ice cream bucket, lid off of course, and lay her head on a pillow. She threw up a few minutes later. Amanda got her a baby wipe to clean her mouth and then we shut the lid. As soon as we came to an exit I took it and we threw away the gross bag and replaced it with a new one and went on our way (probably after a potty break). We repeated this process 6-8 times for Paige always putting the lid on (Thanks Dad!) every time to trap the smell and make sure it didn't spill. Well, about 1 hour away from home Marin says "Mom, my tummy hurts." So I instructed her to use the bucket if needed and a few minutes later, she sure did. So we stopped to clean it out for her. All through this time, Jaida was still having diarrhea and she pooped out of her clothes twice. It was a rough trip, but because I was prepared, I didn't get angry or even a little mad because there really wasn't any mess to clean up and I felt bad for my kids. The kids felt better after about 6 hours and all is well. Overall I am sad to be gone from there, but glad to be home. And no, my rash is not gone yet, but it is getting better. I will post some trip pictures next time, I have to get them from my phone. Pat insisted I leave the camera for his trip and then he didn't even use it. What a nut! Here is one goofy one though of Paige, Amanda, and I.

1 comments:

Jenni said...

Mary! How did you survive that drive? I seriously can't handle throw-up. Can't handle it. No sir, not me.

It sounds like YOU handled it well though! Smart idea from your dad on bringing the bucket WITH the lid! Best idea ever!

Glad your trip was fun overall---I wish I had family that lived in a fun place---oh wait, I do! Utah!